EYFS Rationale: At Finham Primary we believe children learn best through practical, hands-on experiences and interactions with their environment. Play provides opportunities for children to consolidate and extend skills and concepts learnt. It allows children to take risks, make their own choices and practice actions. Play underpins our Early Years Curriculum at Finham Primary.
EYFS Intent: At Finham we aim to provide motivating first-hand experiences to enable children to learn more and remember more. We also encourage children to build resilience, ambition and a lifelong love of learning whilst also learning how to look after their own mental health and well-being. We aim to build on the wealth of knowledge children already have and are actively developing relationships with feeder settings. We recognise that all children are unique, celebrating and welcoming differences within our school community. Therefore, our curriculum is developed and adapted each year to follow the interests and fascinations of the children in the current year group whilst also building specific knowledge, identified through the areas of learning. We recognise how learning builds sequentially – by building knowledge, skills and learning behaviours from what the children already know and can do towards identified end points or outcomes. Our curriculum design will ensure they are ready for the transition to Year 1. We embed a language of learning based on the characteristics of effective learning; ‘Making Our Learning Fly’, out whole school approach, enables children to understand and talk about their learning experiences.
We aim to:
- Provide a curriculum that offers children a wide range of opportunities, ensuring that we do not expect children to aspire to things they have never encountered.
- We will work on broadening children’s experiences, providing opportunities to try new things and encouraging them to relish a new challenge.
- Provide high expectations, encouraging them to develop perseverance and self-belief so that they can solve problems and achieve far more than they expected.
- Provide a learning environment that helps children achieve their potential and support those who need additional help in order to maximise their chances of achieving the Early Learning Goals.
- Provide children with opportunities to develop their sense of well-being and the ability to regulate their feelings so that they feel confident in our community and are equipped with the tools they need to transition to Year 1 effectively.
- Continue to develop the skills and expertise of staff working in the EYFS, through regular and comprehensive professional development - this can be done by the EYFS leader or through attending training run by other providers.
For more information on the intent, implementation and impact within EYFS at Finham, or for a closer look at the Early Years Vision and Ethos, please click the images below:
For a more detailed look at each area of the EYFS curriculum, you can download some key documentation below: